Established in 1848, a four-man constabulary, elected each April, maintained law and order in Wyoming Township until December 12, 1941.
1940’s – The Early Years
The Wyoming Township Police Department was founded December 12, 1941. The Department was staffed with three full-time police officers. The three officers were constables at the time of the organization of the Police Department, and were affectionately known as the "Wyoming Cowboys."
The 15’ x 15’ Police Department was stationed within the Township Hall that was located at Burton and Godfrey. During that year, the constables protected 25,000 residents, and responded to 603 calls for service.
During the mid 1940’s the Police Department then moved into office space at 1263 Burton, the current location of the Koeze Retail Store. In November of 1948 the Township Offices were moved from Burton Street to the Beltline (the present location of City Hall). The Police Department occupied an office within the Township Hall.
1950’s – Headquarters is Relocated
In 1952, the Police Department moved out of the Township Offices and into a Public Works garage, which was adjacent to and north of the Township Offices. The Police Department occupied one bay of a four bay garage.
January 1, 1959, Wyoming Township became a City. Consequently, the Wyoming Township Police Department of seventeen sworn officers became the City of Wyoming Police Department.
1960’s – As the City Grows, the Department Grows
In 1960, John Vander Band was the Chief of Police. There were twenty-seven sworn officers, two civilian clerks, and eight police reserves. There were a total of nine police vehicles; five of those were marked, three were unmarked and one was used as a radar unit. During 1960, 3,199 reports were taken, officers responded to 918 accidents, and 699 crimes were reported.
1970’s – The Growth Continues
By the mid 1970’s the department had grown to seventy-six sworn police officers who responded to 8,333 calls for service. The total population of Wyoming reached 56,560. The Police Department moved in January of 1976 to the new headquarters built at 2650 DeHoop Avenue. The Police-Justice Building housed the District Court on the first floor and the Police Department on the second level. An open house was held after the formal dedication ceremonies on April 23, 1976.
1980’s – Computers are Welcomed
After years of planning, the computerization of the Police Department became a reality. The department converted to Computer Aided Dispatch, computer-enhanced 9-1-1 services and computer generated reports. This enabled the prompt entry and retrieval of information about a crime, or area, even about individuals or property involved in the crime. Access to automated information by any police division made the computer a welcome asset.
1990’s – Pistol Team Wins Governor’s Trophy
The Wyoming Police Department Pistol Team won the Governor’s Trophy in 1994. They took first place for the fifth time competing with several hundred Officers from numerous departments throughout the State of Michigan. Also in 1994, Chief Lowell E. Henline bids farewell as he retires after a twenty-two year tenure as Chief of Police.
2000’s – Serving a Large Community
The Police Memorial Wall was dedicated in October, 2001 to show the heartfelt respect and appreciation for deceased career service personnel who gave so much to make Wyoming the great City that it has become. In 2013, Police Officers responded to 40,958 calls for service from a department with 83 sworn officers, 14 civilian staff and 30 senior volunteers, serving approximately 72,000 residents. In 2014, the Wyoming Police department and the Wyoming Fire department joined forces to become the Wyoming Department of Public Safety to better serve the community.