Civil Division

Online Filing

MiFILE, the Michigan judiciary’s electronic filing system for filing and serving documents online, is now available! MiFILE is mandatory for all attorneys and corporations filing civil matters.

Click this link to access MiFILE to create your profile and/or sign in:

You can also visit MiFILE's YouTube page for helpful tutorials on using the platform:


About The Civil Division

The civil division of the court is available to the general public and local businesses to bring a claim against another party. Typical claims involve money. The party initiating the case is called the Plaintiff. The party against whom the matter is being brought is called the Defendant.

There is a cost for filing a case with the court. This cost is paid by the Plaintiff, but can usually be recovered as part of any judgment that is issued against the defendant.

Within the Civil Division there are four case types:

General Civil Actions

These actions are used to settle financial disputes between parties in which the amount does not exceed $25,000. Individuals have the option of hiring an attorney or representing themselves. An attorney must represent corporations. Decisions can be appealed to Circuit Court.

Landlord - Tenant

Landlord/Tenant (Summary Proceedings) are actions to recover possession of premises (eviction) and to obtain certain types of ancillary relief (damages, back rent). They also pertain to land contracts and are used when a party fails to comply with the terms of the contract. Corporations must have an attorney. Individuals have the option of hiring an attorney or representing themselves. Decisions can be appealed to the Circuit Court.

The video below summarizes the Advice of Rights for Landlord/Tenant cases and contains resources for rental assistance if needed.

Local Rental Assistance Agencies

  • Community Rebuilders 616-458-5102
  • Kent County DHS 616-248-1000
  • Salvation Army 1-800-887-1107
  • Urban League 616-245-2207
  • Homeless Assistance/Heart of West Michigan United Way 2-1-1

Small Claims

Small Claims are limited to cases in which the amount of claim does not exceed $6,500. No lawyers are allowed in Small Claims actions and all decisions are final. There is no appeal process.


The Dispute Resolution Center of West Michigan offers another way to resolve disagreements. They help people solve their differences peacefully and constructively, using the services of a trained mediator. This mediator brings both parties together for discussion, and together they create their own solution to the problem.

Please visit their website at for more information.

Kent County Process Servers

Once the Court has accepted your filing, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SERVICE ON THE DEFENDANT. Below is a list of some process servers for Kent County. You may use one of these or find your own.

As of December 2023, the process service fee is $26.00 plus mileage. Any questions you have about service should be directed to your selected process server, not the Court.





Nathan Crace

*62A Court Officer



Stacy Piasecki

*62A Court Officer



JACO Civil Process


Kurtis Orosz


Risk & Associates


Dan Skwarek



Grizzel & Associates



**Please file a proof of service with the Court one week prior to your hearing date.**