Building Inspections

Department Quick Links


Building Inspections Overview

Our Building Inspection team assures that all structures within the City are constructed safely and related property is maintained according to minimum code standards. This mission is carried out through the effective enforcement of codes for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Property Maintenance, Rental Programs and Signs. 

These standards are used to measure the quality of new construction, the structural integrity of existing structures and sanitary conditions of buildings and exterior property areas.


Apply for a Permit Online

*Online permitting is available for building, mechanical, electrical and plumbing permits! Click here to get started: 

The City of Wyoming offers the ability to apply for various permits online through the website. 
You can access this feature 24/7 by clicking on the BSA Online icon that appears above. This will take you to the BSA site where you can login to your account and begin the online process of applying for plumbing, mechanical or electrical permits. Common activities that require permits of these types include replacements of water heaters, furnaces, mast repairs, electrical service upgrades, additional plumbing fixtures and underground sprinkling. Building permits are eligible for this service but require detailed plans to be submitted as well. For commercial building projects/permits, apply for Planning, Zoning and Engineering review.
*note: homeowners are not required to register and can go directly to the link above. Contractors may not apply for permits as homeowners.

Permit Application Instructions

The City of Wyoming is taking measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. 

To assure various construction, alteration and equipment installation projects are properly completed and safe, City Ordinances require that permits be issued before work is started. It is the responsibility of the property owner or contractor (whoever is actually doing the work) to obtain the necessary permits and post them at the construction site. Zoning ordinances and building codes may also affect approval of a project.  You can review existing permits using permit lookup

Make Sure You Can Apply

Only certain people can apply for electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits. You can apply for a permit if you are:

  • licensed by the State of Michigan to perform the type of work for which you’re applying.
  • the owner and resident of the dwelling for which you’re applying.

Apply for a Permit

Once you confirm your eligibility, you can apply for your permit. You have two options to apply, through our online permit system or by using a PDF or printed application. You’ll need to include all supporting documents with your application.


You can apply for building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits online 24/7 using our online permitting system, BSA.

If you are a homeowner, you don’t need to have an account to complete the Homeowner Online Application. If you are a contractor, you need to be registered in our BSA permitting system and logged in to begin the Contractor Online Application. For step-by-step assistance, use our helpful Contractor Guide for Applying for Permits.

Paper Application

You can apply for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and building permits using PDF or printed applications.

  1. Contractors need to be registered to apply for permits. If you aren’t already registered, complete our Paper Registration Application. Homeowners don’t need to register.
  2. Find the appropriate form from the permit applications below.
  3. Complete all the application fields, sign the document, and compile all your supporting documents. Supporting documents are listed here. A completed application must include a site plan and construction drawings.
  4. Submit your completed application and supporting documents in one of the following ways:
  • Electronic Submittal 

BSA Online

  • By Mail
    City of Wyoming – Inspections
    1155 28th St SW
    Wyoming MI 49509
  • In Person

      ​Enter City Hall, using the south lobby doors. Inspections is located in the east wing.

      Use the City Drop Box or the drive-up window behind City Hall.

Processing Time

For most residential projects, permits can be obtained in two to seven days. Large projects and commercial/industrial applications require additional time to process. However, for all but single-family houses, site plan review must first be obtained from the Planning Department. 

Paying for Approved Permits

After your application is approved, we’ll send you an invoice. The invoice has to be paid before we’ll issue a permit. You have a few options to pay for your permit, you’ll need your permit’s invoice number at hand.

  • In Person​
  • By Phone
    Call the Treasurer’s office at 616-530-7278 to pay with your credit card. Have your invoice number ready. Credit card payments have an additional 3% service fee added.
  • City Drop Box
    Enclose a check or money order indicating the invoice number in an envelope. Place the envelope in the City Drop Box, located behind City Hall at 1155 28th St. S.W.
  • Drive-up window
    Pay from vehicle using cash, check, or card at the drive-up window located behind City Hall located behind City Hall at 1155 28th St. S.W.
  • By Mail
    Enclose a check or money order indicating the invoice number in an envelope and mail to City of Wyoming, Attn: Inspections Department, 1155 28th St SW, Wyoming, MI 49509.

Receiving Your Permit

After you pay the invoice, we’ll email or mail your permit to the address you provided.

Scheduling An Inspection

Required inspections vary depending on the type of permit and scope of a project. The contractor or homeowner to whom the permit is issued is responsible for scheduling inspections.

  • Give at least 24 hours prior notice is desired from the permit holder.
  • Call the Building Inspection Department at 616-530-7285.

Need Help?

We’re here to help. If you have questions, comments, or need additional assistance call us at 616.530.7285 or use our webform to send us a message.


Permit Applications

Apply Online

You can apply for electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits online 24/7. At this time, complex permits with detailed plans, like building permits, can’t be applied for using our online permitting system, BSA.

If you are a homeowner, you don’t need to have an account to complete the Homeowner Online Application. If you are a contractor, you need to be registered in our BSA permitting system and logged in to begin the Contractor Online Application. For step-by-step assistance, use our helpful Contractor Guide for Applying for Permits.

Building Permits 

Our building inspection team reviews plans, issues permits, and performs inspections for building construction performed by licensed contractors and homeowners. Every permit involves inspections of the work to assure it has been completed safely and correctly. 

Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF) Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF) Examples of work: new buildings, renovations, tenant’s spaces, additions, apartments, and condominiums. Supporting documents to submit with your application: 

  • Full and complete description of work
  • Site plan and site plan approval
  • Construction drawings (Electronic drawings preferred)

Residential Building Permit Application (PDF) Examples of work: new homes, remodeling, additions, decks, hot tubs, swimming pools, and garages/accessory building. Supporting documents to submite with your application:

  • Full and complete description of work
  • Site plan
  • Construction drawings (electronic drawings preferred)
  • Foundation drawing if applicable
  • HVAC and energy documents if applicable

Electrical Permits

Mechanical Permits

Plumbing Permits


Permanent Signs

Our sign inspection team reviews plans, issues permits and makes inspections for signs located primarily in commercial and industrial zoning districts. 

Sign Permit Application

  • For sign standards, please refer to Article 7 of the City's Zoning Code
  • For signs located on Division Avenue, Burton Street, or 28th Street (on sites between Clyde Park Avenue and Burlingame Avenue), please refer to Division 10 of the City's Form Based Code.

Temporary Signs

Temporary Sign Permit Application

Tent Permit

A permit will be issued after tent application, site plan, and tent specifications have been approved and required fees and deposits are paid.

A tent permit is required for any tent or membrane structure (i.e. bounce house) over 400 square feet for no more than 180 days.

Tent Permit Application

Pool Permit

Pool Permit Application

Swimming Pool Code


Contractor Registration

In order to be eligible to apply for permits in the City of Wyoming, contractors must first register their Contractor's License. Download and complete the application form listed below and mail the application, your check and a copy of your Contractor License to the City of Wyoming Building Inspections department.

Contractor Registration Form


Code Enforcement

The beauty and charm of our neighborhoods are among Wyoming's most precious assets. Keeping your house or business well maintained displays pride in your community, and adds to property values.

  • Keep lawns cut & weeds trimmed
  • Store and dispose of junk & trash properly
  • Know the rules for vehicle storage and parking

File a Complaint

To file a complaint about the condition of a building or property, call 616-530-7285 or complete our comments and questions Form.  Please provide a brief description of the problem, and the address of the property you are concerned about.  An inspector will be assigned to investigate. If the alleged violation is valid, a notice is sent to the property owner(s) requesting compliance within a reasonable time frame.

BSAOnline-enter the address to check the status of an enforcement action under the building department tab.

Property Maintenance


  • Grass and weeds must be less than 10" high.
  • Shrubs and trees must be trimmed to keep sidewalks and streets clear.
  • Dead or dying trees and shrubs must be removed.

The City of Wyoming provides a free drop-off site for leaves, grass clippings, and branches. Contact Public Works for more information.


  • Store your trash in a trash container, out of sight of the front of your house.
  • Place the container at the curb the day before pickup; please remove it on pickup day.
  • Pick up animal waste daily.

Click here for more information regarding recycling and the disposal of household hazardous waste.


  • Park on a paved surface
  • Perform vehicle repairs inside a garage
  • Store inoperable or unlicensed vehicles in a garage
  • Store recreational vehicles, boats, trailers, campers, etc. in the backyard.
  • These standards can be found in the City's Zoning Code in Sections 90-314 and 90-315


All fences, walls and other protective barriers, referred to in this section as "fences," shall conform to the following regulations:​

  • The erection, construction or alteration of any fence shall be approved by the building inspector for compliance with the provisions of this chapter. The finished side of a fence shall face outward toward abutting lots and rights-of-way.
  • No fence shall hereafter be erected in any required yard space in excess of six feet in height above the grade of the surrounding land.
  • No fence located in the required front yard, or within the first ten feet of the required secondary front yard in residential districts, shall exceed 36 inches in height above the ground level.
  • All fences shall be of an ornamental nature. Spikes, nails or any sharp instruments of any kind are prohibited on top of or on the sides of any fence, except that barbed wire is allowed on the top of fences in industrial zones.
  • These standards can be found in Sec. 90-312 of the City's Zoning Code.


Accessory building standards can be found in Sec. 90-311 of the City's Zoning Code.

Property Maintenance Code

The intent of the Property Maintenance Code is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare relative to existing structures. It prescribes minimum standards for sanitation, maintenance, equipment, light, space, ventilation and heating, as well as conditions of upkeep for exterior premises.

Property Maintenance-Chapter 10

BS&A Online - enter the address to check the status of an enforcement under the building department tab.


Rental Inspection Program and Registration

All rental properties in the City of Wyoming are required to be registered and certified. The rental inspection program ensures that the maintenance of all residential rental buildings meet minimum code standards.

Rental Inspection Guidelines

If you own or manage a rental property, please complete the digital Rental Registration Form. If you prefer, you can complete a printable version of the form and return it by mail or in person.

Please review Section 103.1 of the Wyoming Code of Ordinances regarding rental properties.

BS&A Online - enter the address to check the status of a rental certificate under the building department tab.


Chicken Variance Information

City Code section PM 301.4  ANIMALS AND BEES states that “no horse, cow, calf, swine, sheep, goat, chickens, bees, pigeons, geese, ducks, rabbits, or any protected wild animal shall be kept in any dwelling, nor shall any such animals or bees be kept on the same lot or premises with a dwelling, except under conditions prescribed by the code official so as not to constitute a nuisance to any neighbors or property and so as not to constitute any health or safety hazard.”

A variance is required to keep chickens in the City of Wyoming. There is no fee for the variance.

The maximum number of chickens allowed is 4. Roosters are prohibited.

See below for the application. You need to complete the application and send it back for processing (send to or drop off at City Hall). We also need a drawing (site plan) of the proposed coop and covered run with distances to the property boundaries and existing structures. Additionally, we will need a picture of the proposed coop and covered run.

Chicken Variance Packet (with Application)

If you are not the property owner, please also provide a signed letter from the property owner stating they approve of the variance application being submitted to the City.

After receiving these documents, we will contact all adjacent neighbors to inform them the address is requesting a chicken variance and they are allowed to comment.

After a two-week comment period, the Building Official will make the final decision to allow or disallow the chicken variance. You will be informed of this decision via letter.




Contact Information

Nicole Hofert

Director of Community & Economic Development

Building Inspections
1155 - 28th Street SW
P.O. Box 905
Wyoming , MI 49509

Phone:  616-530-7285
Fax: 616-249-3484
Email: Inspections

Monday - Thursday 
7:00 AM to 5:00 PM