The City of Wyoming is taking measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. 

To assure various construction, alteration and equipment installation projects are properly completed and safe, City Ordinances require that permits be issued before work is started. It is the responsibility of the property owner or contractor (whoever is actually doing the work) to obtain the necessary permits and post them at the construction site. Zoning ordinances and building codes may also affect approval of a project.  You can review existing permits using permit lookup

Make Sure You Can Apply

Only certain people can apply for electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits. You can apply for a permit if you are:

  • licensed by the State of Michigan to perform the type of work for which you’re applying.
  • the owner and resident of the dwelling for which you’re applying.

Apply for a Permit

Once you confirm your eligibility, you can apply for your permit. You have two options to apply, through our online permit system or by using a PDF or printed application. You’ll need to include all supporting documents with your application.


You can apply for building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits online 24/7 using our online permitting system, BSA.

If you are a homeowner, you don’t need to have an account to complete the Homeowner Online Application. If you are a contractor, you need to be registered in our BSA permitting system and logged in to begin the Contractor Online Application. For step-by-step assistance, use our helpful Contractor Guide for Applying for Permits.

Paper Application

You can apply for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and building permits using PDF or printed applications.

  1. Contractors need to be registered to apply for permits. If you aren’t already registered, complete our Paper Registration Application. Homeowners don’t need to register.
  2. Find the appropriate form on our Permit Applications webpage.
  3. Complete all the application fields, sign the document, and compile all your supporting documents. Supporting documents are listed under the application form on our Permit Applications webpage. A completed application must include a site plan and construction drawings.
  4. Submit your completed application and supporting documents in one of the following ways:
  • By Mail
    City of Wyoming – Inspections
    1155 28th St SW
    Wyoming MI 49509
  • In Person
Enter City Hall, using the south lobby doors. Inspections is located in the east wing.
      Use the City Drop Box or the drive-up window behind City Hall.

Processing Time

For most residential projects, permits can be obtained in two to seven days. Large projects and commercial/industrial applications require additional time to process. However, for all but single-family houses, site plan review must first be obtained from the Planning Department. 

Paying for Approved Permits

After your application is approved, we’ll send you an invoice. The invoice has to be paid before we’ll issue a permit. You have a few options to pay for your permit, you’ll need your permit’s invoice number at hand.

  • In Person
  • By Phone
    Call the Treasurer’s office at 616-530-7278 to pay with your credit card. Have your invoice number ready. Credit card payments have an additional 3% service fee added.
  • City Drop Box
    Enclose a check or money order indicating the invoice number in an envelope. Place the envelope in the City Drop Box, located behind City Hall at 1155 28th St. S.W.
  • Drive-up window
    Pay from vehicle using cash, check, or card at the drive-up window located behind City Hall located behind City Hall at 1155 28th St. S.W.
  • By Mail
    Enclose a check or money order indicating the invoice number in an envelope and mail to City of Wyoming, Attn: Inspections Department, 1155 28th St SW, Wyoming, MI 49509.

Receiving Your Permit

After you pay the invoice, we’ll email or mail your permit to the address you provided.

Scheduling An Inspection

Required inspections vary depending on the type of permit and scope of a project. The contractor or homeowner to whom the permit is issued is responsible for scheduling inspections.

  • Give at least 24 hours prior notice is desired from the permit holder.
  • Call the Building Inspection Department at 616-530-7285.

Need Help?

We’re here to help. If you have questions, comments, or need additional assistance call us at 616.530.7285 or use our webform to send us a message.